Rechercher dans ce blog

Saturday, June 11, 2022

To the stars for local singer - Central Queensland Today - CQ Today

Kate Mahood released her new single Silver and Gold on 12 May. Photo supplied by Jordja Hutcheon.

by Khrysti Balanay

Central Queensland’s artistic community continues to grow, with local singer-songwriter Kate Mahood releasing a new single and hosting a sell-out launch.

Kate is a self-taught musician who has only performed for the last five years.

Kate said that her parent’s taste in music helped influence her songwriting and style, describing it as Americana and alt-country.

“I have been singing for 15 years and playing the guitar only a little longer,” she said.

“I used to be extremely shy and had stage fright which took a lot to get over.

“Performing was never something that I thought was an option.

“A friend was doing some gigs and encouraged me to get out there.”

Kate reflected that she used songwriting to process her emotions and make sense of the world.

“Growing up, I was interested in becoming a writer,” she said.

“I studied remedial massage and yoga teaching and worked in the alternative health industry.

“I realised later in life that people could make a living performing their own music.

“Initially, it was nerve-wracking to perform on stage with songs I created myself.

“Five years ago, if someone told me I would be doing this, I would have freaked out.”

This year Kate released her debut single, Man of Honour, in January and recently, Silver and Gold, in May.

“It’s kind of nerdy, but Silver and Gold was written after watching a science documentary with Brian Cox,” she said.

“He spoke about how most of the elements in our bodies were formed in the core of ancient stars or birthed out of supernova explosions and have existed in many shapes and forms.

“I wanted to remind people that we are a part of something amazing.”

For the past five years, Kate has performed at several festivals and events throughout the country.

“My first performance was in 2017 at the Tamworth pub, which is quite an iconic venue,” she said.

“I have also played at Tamworth Country Music Festival, Agnes Blues and Roots, Festival, and was the opening for artists such as Harry Manx and The Whitlams.

“I plan to play at a couple of local events such as Livingstone’s Tides and Tunes and Byfield Forest Fields.

“However, I want to also focus on releasing another single and the rest of my EP later this year.”

Adblock test (Why?)


To the stars for local singer - Central Queensland Today - CQ Today
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ti Tree Local Court list, Friday, January 26 - NT News

[unable to retrieve full-text content] Ti Tree Local Court list, Friday, January 26    NT News Ti Tree Local Court list, Friday, January 2...