Rechercher dans ce blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Local Barber Co striving towards premium experience - Riverine Herald

STARTING up a new business is a daunting prospect for anyone.

And that's without even mentioning the devastating impact of a worldwide pandemic.

So when the risk is high and profit margins are razor thin, how can you open and operate a thriving venture in today’s climate?

If you ask Local Barber Co owner Dylan Wade, he’ll say you only need two things – a gap in the market and the means to fill it.

Local Barber Co offers cut and grooms, skin fades, basic cuts, beard grooming and specific cuts for kids and seniors.

Born and raised in Kyabram, Dylan said he recognised that gap back when he was a teenager.

“We’ve got a lot of old school barbers around the Goulburn Valley where you just go in and get a basic haircut, which is fine,” Dylan said.

“But I felt like there was nowhere someone could get a trendy haircut, a fade or something you could get in Melbourne.

“I used to cut my mates’ hair when we were 16 because we were sick of going to hairdressers.

“I did nothing else with it until a year after I finished school. Barbering was on the up then, so I thought I’d try it and if all else fails at least I’m young enough to bounce back and find something else.”

After spending 18 months learning from the best in Melbourne, Dylan said he hit a wall once he returned home.

“After I finished studying in Melbourne, I came back to Ky and looked for work but barbering isn’t very popular here,” he said.

“After four months of doing bugger all, I thought I might as well do my own thing.”

Local Barber Co on 31 Albion St

Thanks to some assistance from family and friends, Dylan was able to source a caravan and transform it into a one-man makeshift enterprise.

Dylan spent six months drumming up support on social media but didn’t know how the community would react until he opened his doors for the first time.

“When I first opened, I think everyone was a bit curious, so they came in,” he said.

“It was just a caravan with a big barbershop sign out the front. It took off a bit quicker than I thought it would.

“When I started, I wasn’t too nervous because I didn’t care if I was doing three haircuts a day. I was sitting at home doing nothing prior to that.”

Despite a healthy turnover of clientele, Dylan said he quickly realised the caravan couldn’t sustain his vision.

To supply the premium barber experience he had always wanted in Kyabram himself since he was a kid, Dylan moved into the empty storefront on 31 Albion St and hasn’t looked back.

Local Barber Co offers cut and grooms, skin fades, basic cuts, beard grooming and specific cuts for kids and seniors.

Since June 2020, Local Barber Co has steadily grown a reputation as the place to go to enjoy good tunes, a refreshing beer, and of course, a quality haircut or beard trim.

Dylan said the positive reaction from the community proved he wasn’t the only one who was crying out for such an experience.

“The only real problem I have at the moment is not being able to fit people in,” he said.

“You have to push them away and most likely won’t see them again.

“I’m just one person so it’s easy for me to get busy, but once I have another staff member start hopefully everything will go smoother.

“Expansion is very far down the track. The only place I’d think of expanding to is Echuca.

“I do get a lot of Echuca clients come in and they say they don’t have that up-to-trend barber. There are some nice barbers in Echuca, but there is a gap in that respect.

“That’s the key. If there’s a gap in the market, then definitely go for it. But the biggest advice I’d give is to get help when you need it.

“I was very reluctant to take financial help from people because I didn’t want to let them down if I failed. So, take all the help you can get and do your best.”

All bookings are made through the Local Barber Co Facebook page.

First Kyabram residents receive Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine

Tongala school ready for National Ride2School Day

Kyabram Goulburn Valley Water Tank mural officially complete

Let's block ads! (Why?)


Local Barber Co striving towards premium experience - Riverine Herald
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ti Tree Local Court list, Friday, January 26 - NT News

[unable to retrieve full-text content] Ti Tree Local Court list, Friday, January 26    NT News Ti Tree Local Court list, Friday, January 2...